Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Simple Things Aren't Always So Simple

Telling me his latest problem at breakfast in his dining room.

I got a call from the paramedics telling me dad fell at Giant Eagle as he was taking his groceries to his car, hit his head but is refusing to go to the hospital.  I told them to go ahead and take him and I would meet them there.  His cart started to tip as he was pushing it down the little ramp from the sidewalk to the parking lot, then he fell when he was trying to straighten it.  He just banged up his head but they said he didn't have a concussion.  Nonetheless, it involved getting his head bandaged just above his left eye and I soon found myself in the role of nurse, changing his bandage every day.  This is one of our conversations at breakfast one morning during that time:
Dad:  One day, I don't remember what day it was, but I tried to pour myself a glass of milk.  The most simple thing I could do,  simple, simple.  Nothing to it, just pour a little milk in the glass.  I was pouring.  I always use a paper cup.  I start pouring the milk, instead of going in the glass--it went all over the counter!  

Karen:  Aww.

Dad:  With this eye (pointed to his left eye) not seeing so good, I can't tell distance.   I can't tell this way, but can see THIS way (points other direction), I didn't even have it over the cup, and I had the milk all over the counter.

Karen:  Aww, dad.

Dad:  That took me about ten times normal to clean that up.  Ha, ha, ha.  But now I watch better. 
I was at a loss for words, I felt so bad for him.  I love how he could laugh at himself and keep such a good attitude when he had so many frustrations.  His wound got better and he also improved at managing with the bandage blocking some of his eye.

Here is the link to the video.

2 comments:

Mrs4444 said...

That's a sweet story. I have used Camtasia Studio for editing video. I found this link for you, too: http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html The simplest way that I can think of, though, is to play the video on your computer and record the clip with your phone or an ipad camera. Good luck.

Karen, author of MY FUNNY DAD, HARRY said...

Hmm, I might try that playing the video and recording it with my camera--might work. Thanks for the ideas.

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.