Thursday, December 22, 2011

My Favoirte Gift Ever and More! (Writer's Workshop)

My dad's favorite thing to do was work with wood. Here is a list of a few of the the neat things he made:

My all-time favorite gift is the secretary that my dad made for me when I was only around 3 years old. I still use it today, 53 years later! One of the games I played was with my secretary and toy phone. Once my dad was sick and stayed home from work that day (which was very rare). I heard him call in sick so I went to my phone and did the same: "Hello Boss, I am sick so won't be in to work today. Good-bye." He was not happy with the secretary because he measured the desk top part wrong and it doesn't come up quite as far as it should when it's closed. I still love it! Later, after the foster kids came to live with us, he even put a lock on it for me although I usually didn't bother locking it.  I don't even know where the key is now.

Among many things dad made for us kids was a jeep, which I mention in my book. It was really, really great! Four kids could sit in it at once. My dad, being the ever cautious, safety first kind of guy did not put any motor on it. Thus, it was self-propelled by pushing it along. We had a blast with it, even though we just used it in our own yard. Here's a very short video clip of it and my brother playing with our dog so you can see for yourself:



(This video was taken off a DVD I had made through CVS from one of our old movies my dad had taken.)
My parents always liked it better when our friends would come to our house and this certainly brought them over. Having four kids all within just two years apart meant that our house was the place to be. Especially with our unusual "toys."

Another kid attraction we got one year to compliment our swing set which included a glider was a little backyard roller coaster! It had one big hill and a bunch of little ones. Only one could ride at a time though but it was a lot of fun too and drew a crowd!

Harry used to work at a box company. One of the best things he made for us was out of cardboard! He made us a robot with only three sides so we could go inside and make its head and arms move! We had a lot of fun with that!

I love the things my mom and dad made for me but these are the most unusual. There are so many I won't list them all here.

What was your favorite gift or the best gift you gave or received? Have you made something cool for your kids?

This is my response to the prompt to tell about your favorite gift that you received. To find more interesting posts or participate yourself, head of to Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop.


Tweet This
Tweet Me from My Funny Dad, Harry

27 comments:

Nicole @ WhenDidIBecomeMyMom.com said...

Your dad sounds awesome. Definitely a lot of love there. It must have made him so happy to be able to create for you guys. :-)

Unknown said...

Wow. I love that. It is a beautiful piece of furniture! I am so impressed! Really fantastic! I also love your jeep clip! You were SO ahead of your time, right? : )

Miss. C said...

Your house sounded so much fun!!! What great things and I really enjoyed reading your post!!! Your parents sound amazing!!!

Miss Angie said...

That's a very pretty secretary. I really like it!

Visiting from Mamma Kat's!

Unknown said...

Nice secretary!

Furniture has a way of enduring and giving. My wife's great-grandfather made a formal high backed Norwegian chair back in the mid 1800's. Hand carved and made with no glue in the middle of the winter, with scenes of Norse mythology carved into every surface, it sits in our master bedroom and is still in use. It is great to think of all the generations who have used this beautiful work of art and yet it keeps on giving. May your secretary enjoy a similar history.

Cajoh said...

Stopping by from Mama Kat's…

How amazing is that— he's so talented to be able to build such great things. I see why you love it so much.

Thank you for sharing,

Anonymous said...

What a huge talent hehad! That secretary is absolutely amazing!

Mama Kat said...

That jeep is SO cool! Love it...how amazing to have that video after all these years!!

Mayhem and Moxie said...

Such an amazing contribution to Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop today. I loved how you were able to tie it back to your Dad and the book that you wrote.

I even took the time to read the foreward. Such an truly wonderful tribute that you've done. I am sure that your Dad is smiling down on you from above.

Lin said...

That video is HILARIOUS! I love the poor kids pushing 4 kids in the car! And look how nice you are all sharing, getting out when your turn was over. Where's the fighting over who's gonna drive??? LOL!

Los said...

Your dad was very handy ... and creative! Sounds a lot like my dad - although my dad wasn't really into wood-work (those pieced look great, by the way!). My dad built us a hockey net after the one I had broke - it was awesome!

ipod headphones said...

honestly my favorite was a cd from an album that was my favorite growing up, but im guessing you are looking for better idea than that, watch HSN they have some good ideas or giving money is always good...

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have such a dad. Thanks for sharing this post.

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

Online Management Degrees said...

I'm looking for a small get-together of writers who critique each other's work once a month or so. Where could I find such a thing?

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

When did I become my Mom: Oh yes, he loved making things for us and we always appreciated them too!

Life with Kaishon & Mama Kat: Glad you liked the jeep clip.

Miss Candy & Midday Escapades: We did have a lot of fun, no wonder I didn't want to grow up! (see: http://zemeks.blogspot.com/2009/12/age-doesnt-matter-and-mr-jolly-writers.html) I think I am very fortunate to have had such great parents.

Dan: That's is awesome! Sounds like a very cool chair! Thanks for sharing about it here.

Cajoh & Girl Next Door: Yes, my dad was a very good craftsman and handyman too.

Mayhem & Moxie: Thanks so much for your kind comment and for taking the time to actually read the foreword to my book!

Lin: Glad you liked the video too. We really didn't fight much, guess we just felt it was more fun to cooperate. With four kids, we learned to share our things and if the neighbor kids started fighting, they'd have to leave. We had a great time with that jeep!

Los: That's cool your dad built you a hockey net!

metal engraving said...

It is a beautiful furniture! I am so impressed! Really fantastic! I also love your toy car clip!

austin-sara.blogspot.com said...

so amazing...I cant believe he made that what an awesome present

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that jeep video is awesome!!!! What a great Dad!
I love love love secretary desks like that.

Lauren @ten23designs said...

Truly awesome! Thank you for giving me another reason to smile today!

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

Janet said...

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

Love the video of the Jeep! My family is into Jeeps too. Something like this looks like so much fun!

Amy DM said...

Happy SITS sharefest.

I love that desk. What a great dad. And then to add a lock later shows such caring.

BTW, this post was written on my birthday. :)

Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity said...

Happy SITS Saturday sharefest. Your dad sounds like a great guy.
:)

Sandee said...

How fun. I can see why that's your most favorite.

Have a terrific day. :)

MommyLisa said...

That sounds AWESOME. :) My dad and mom used to make crazy things too. My dad took a bunch of old ice cream buckets - painted the insides orange and cut "pumpkin faces" on them to put over his yard lights a few years back.

Dominique Goh said...

Whao..your dad is a really handyman. Great piece of furniture that he made for you..so impressive.

Jackie said...

Love the jeep!! That's awesome that your dad made these things!

Mike Golch said...

Yhad one awesome Dad.I'm sorry that he's gone.

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.