Thursday, January 14, 2010

Never Get That Kind Again!

If “chewable” means “suckable,” then that’s what they should say! After dad couldn’t drive anymore because the doctor told him he shouldn’t, I used to take care of his shopping for him. One of the vitamin pills he took was Centrum. When I went to get him more, I saw there was a “chewable” Centrum Silver for people over 50 so got that thinking it would be better for him since he was in his 80s. He said okay, he’d try it.
The next day he told me “NEVER, get that kind again! I asked him why not and this is the story he told me:

“Those things are hard as ROCKS! I was afraid I’d break my tooth on it.” (shaking his head back and forth) I tried grinding it first with my pill crusher and was afraid it would break my pill crusher! I finally used a pair of pliers to break off little bits and it took me two hours to get it broken up enough for me to even eat it!“

I said, “Maybe they were old. I’ll return it for you.”

When I asked the druggist about it, he told me they weren’t meant to be crushed. You are supposed to suck on them and they dissolve in your mouth. I decided to try one to see if it worked and found out it did and even tasted good! With that discovery, I took them back to dad the next day.

He was skeptical and I spent about 20 minutes convincing him to just try it. He said, “They shouldn’t call them ‘chewable’ if you can’t chew them!”


I think he had a point. What do you think? Got any complaints you would like to share?

This is a partial excerpt from “My Funny Dad, Harry” as part of Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop prompt to write about your latest complaint.

To find out more about my book and why I wrote it, read the Foreword here.
Tweet This

Tweet Me from My Funny Dad, Harry

15 comments:

Elizabeth D. said...

That's a pretty darn good point, on your dad's part.

Stopping by from Mama Kat's Writers Workshop!

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

Well he has a pretty good point ;)

Kekibird said...

He's completely right! Chewable means that you can chew them while sucking means using a totally different part of your mouth to break it down. But man, when you mentioned that he brought out pliers, I about died laughing. That's one unchewable pill!

Happy Thursday and thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

How interesting is that? Why would they name them chewable if they were not chewable? Maybe because suckable doesn't sound too appealing : )

Together We Save said...

He is so right!!

Jenn said...

Totally true! I never knew that, I thought they were chewable! I guess putting SUCKable on your label isn't great promotion. But still...someone may really hurt their teeth!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog..I always love new visitors! Are those all your cats???

sandy toe

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

Glad you all think he had a good point.

Kekibird: I think you'd like my book since you thought this was funny. He was persistent and always had a tool for everything!

Life with Kaishon & Jenn: You are probably right.
Jenn:

Sandy Toes: No, these cats were all my dad's. He took care of the strays in the neighborhood and adopted six of them.

AiringMyLaundry said...

Weird. They should be called suckable then. But I guess that would look weird on the box.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Anonymous said...

Is there a number on the bottle that says call for comments or suggestions? I'd call and suggest they call them suckables. lol Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Helene said...

Well, I'd have to agree with your dad! It makes perfect sense. Maybe they thought writing "suckable" on the outer box would sound wierd or something.

For some reason, when I clicked on your profile, it brought me here. Are you using this blog now?

Jennifer C. Valerie said...

So true! If you can't chew them then that's false advertising. That was funny. Thanks for sharing this moment about your dad.

Lori said...

He's right...they aren't chewable! They dissolve like cough drops do....

Thanks for stopping by my SITS day!

jude8753 said...

Yes, your Dad was absolutely right and it should have read disolvable. If I get something chewable that's exactly what I want. I can't think of any recent mislabeling or complaints.

Alissa Grosso said...

Words should be used appropriately. Don't call something chewable, if it's not supposed to be chewed!

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.