Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Day Dad Died, God Gave Me Special Cat Time (Writer's Workshop-Blindsided!)

Friday, February 16, 2007 started out like any other day. I was glad it was Friday and we would get donuts at work. I fed cats at 5 a.m. as usual and then had my devotions with Spunky Doodle jumping up on the table letting me pet her. Gerard brought Moe up and put him on my lap, and he stayed! It was amazing. He sat nice on my lap and let me pet him which he just never does. Spunky was on the table. Gerard took a picture, but by the time he got up, Spunky had jumped off but still got Moe and me. That was very unusual! It was as though God knew I would be having a hard day and He just gave me a very nice morning. As you can see, my day started out great, but then it went downhill really fast and became the worst day of my life!

When got to dad’s, house was dark so I figured he got up late again. I had to go in the upstairs door because the lock was broke on the downstairs one and only dad could get it open. He usually had it unlocked for me so at this point I’m getting a bit worried. I found him in the bathroom on the floor and his head resting on the tub. I called 911 right away with my coat still on. They told me an ambulance was on the way but had to check his breathing and see if he was conscious--he wasn’t. Felt cold and couldn’t find a pulse or feel his chest moving or feel any air coming out his nose. They told me I had to try to do CPR but couldn’t even get him on his back. Sort of wedged in and couldn’t close his mouth. I figured he was dead. EMS got there quickly, took one look at him and knew right away he had been dead for awhile.

This was a terrible day. I knew it would come but didn't expect it so soon. I was actually happy for dad because his suffering was over but I felt very sad for me because I loved him so much and starting making a list in my head of all the things I needed to do--it was quite overwhelming. He died somewhere between 10:30 p.m. the night before and 6:50 a.m. I thanked God for the special morning cat time though, it really was the highlight of my day!

UPDATED 2/16/09: For more about how God helped me, check out "Don't Tell Me God Doesn't Exist--He's My Joy And Strength" at http://zemeks.blogspot.com/2009/02/dont-tell-me-god-doesnt-exist-hes-my.html


I'm using this old post for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop prompt: Who blind-sided you? Write about a time someone caught you totally off guard.

To find out more about my book and why I wrote it, read the Foreword here.

23 comments:

The Silver Age Sara said...

Karen,

What a horrible day for you. I'm glad too you got some special cat time that morning.

Anonymous said...

What a horrible experience for you. I feel for you. I hope you were able to get some comfort from the book you put together.

Lin said...

Oh, that's sad. I think the cats just kinda know, don't they. Even if it's just when you might need a fur friend.

BeadedTail said...

Oh, what a horrible day. I'm glad you are able to reflect on the special cat time to comfort you about that day.

Anonymous said...

Cats just seem to know. I've often been astounded at that. I'm so glad you had some special cat companionship to fortify you that day.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your pain Karen, but I'm pleased that you do have very special memories.

The Florida Furkids said...

Wow that is so like the day my Dad died. I was always the one to go to his house in the morning, but I had an appointment and my DH went. We took him home from our house around 9pm and he went there about 8am the following morning. He found my Dad on the floor in the kitchen. That was 8 years ago on Valentines Day. (((Hugs)))

Susan Cook said...

I guess your cat had a sixth sense about what was to come. It must be on your mind more as this is the anniversary of his death? Take care & hope you get some cat time tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

That's sad, Karen, but God always gives us comfort when these times come. And you had your cat!

I've added this site to my favorites, your other site is already there.

God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Karen, I can just imagine how hard it was to find your dad like that. I'm sending love and prayers your way. Thank you for sharing so many memories of your dad with us.

Anonymous said...

Oh, so sad how that happened. Yes, the one thing to think of is the suffering being over for him.

And yes, cats always know. They are psychic, I swear!

Census said...

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. It must have been such a shock for you.
The good memories are what get us through things like this and they will always be with you.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful our God is to allow us to receive special touches before, during and after a challenging time in our lives.

Animals are very sensitive to things and I believe God uses our pets to help us make it through difficult times.

Anonymous said...

Your Dad's death anniversary has just passed again. I heard a priest in my sister-in-law's funeral said something like people are not really dead even when they died. They just start to die when nobody else remembers them. So as long as we remember our loved ones who passed away, they still 'live' in our memories ;o)

Anonymous said...

Your Dad's death anniversary has just passed again. I heard a priest in my sister-in-law's funeral said something like people are not really dead even when they died. They just start to die when nobody else remembers them. So as long as we remember our loved ones who passed away, they still 'live' in our memories ;o)

Liz said...

It's really a horrible experience but it was good that you had a wonderful cat time. God was somehow preparing you for the worse.

Mommy's Little Corner
A Simple Life
Moms... Check Nyo

Dragonblogger said...

Very sorry for your loss, you have such a dedicated tribute blog to your father I envy the relationship you two had together.

Thanks for your vote for my site, and keep up the great posts, there is no better way to immortalize someone than telling their story via the internet.

Grace said...

This is such a wonderful story. I'm glad I found your blog through EC.

Unknown said...

My stepdad passed away a few months ago, and while he was in bed during his last few weeks, his cat stayed with him all the time. One the morning of his death, the cat left his side, right before he passed, and stay away until his body was being transported from the house. At that time, the cat returned and walked between the feet of the men transporting my stepdad, as if trying to trip them up. Cats seem to sense death, and are great comforts.

peace,
mike
livelife365

Anonymous said...

Oh, I so appreciate all your nice comments. I feel bad for people who are allergic to cats and so glad I am not one of them! They really are a great comfort at times and are very in tune to feelings. I think pet therapy is just wonderful and if I ever reach the point where I would need to go to some assisted living place or nursing home, I'd definitely choose on that has cats. Some do, you know.

Furkidsmom--Sorry for your loss too.

Romy--thanks for adding me to your favorites!

Cindy--Thanks for your prayers. I'm just glad people like hearing about my dad. From the comments I get on this blog, it seems they do.

Abelle & Cemsus--that is so true, our loved ones will always live in our memories!

Liza--Yes, God is good and knows each of us so well and gives us exactly what we need when we need it.

Dragonblogger--from reading your blog, I believe your children will feel the same way about you one day as I do about my dad.

Grace--Thanks for commenting the first time. I'm glad you found my blog too!

Mike--I'm sure that cat was a great comfort to your stepdad. The hardest thing for my dad when he had to be in the hospital when he broke his hip was being away from his cats. I was so tempted to bring one in to visit with him but I am very much the rule follower and don't think pets were allowed--I should have at least asked though!

Mike--

Lazy Housewife said...

Aww glad that you got some kitty time. Sort of the same thing happened last year when my brother died. Even my cat who is not very affectionate (Kaleb) snuggled and snuggled with me after I got home from the hospital after his death. Cats are wonderful. :)

Lazy Housewife
Mom of Three Country Cats
P.S. The picture game that you tagged us for is up. :)

Miss. C said...

God exists, I see it every day in my own life!!

Unknown said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. Even three years later I'm sure it feels like just yesterday.

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.