Friday, June 24, 2011

A Practical Backyard Project--Bench or Table?


My dad made a wonderful backyard bench/picnic table for us. It's kind of like a transformer toy because we can either use it as a bench, or flip the back part up and use it as a table. At each end in the back is a chain, a hole and a piece that fits into the hole to hold it in whichever position you want.

Unfortunately, part of the wood broke off of the second board on the back and it split. It's still usable, but I feel bad every time is see it broke so finally asked our handyman from Handyman Connection if he could fix it.

He was very positive that he could easily fix this saying, "Oh sure, if I can build houses, I certainly can fix a bench." He went on to admire it and said that he would like a picture of it so he could make one for himself and use it when he goes camping. I was very pleased to hear how much he like my dad's work and it made me feel proud once again to have such a wonderful dad. I'm so glad that it will be able to be restored.

To find out more about my book and why I wrote it, read the Foreword here Available as e-book (http://outskirtspress.com/myfunnydadharry/).

4 comments:

Mike Golch said...

something like that would be nice for the 2 of us as well,except the humorless people that run the condo association would say not you can't have that.

Jeanie said...

This is a nice thing you are doing Karen (donating to Joni and Friends)!
How Awesome it that you have a nice reminder of your Dad! That picnic bench looks nice and sturdy!
I just did the networked blogs with you. I hope you do the same!
I'm not doing the book reviewing with First any longer. I miss it, but lack of time for me!
Blessings,
Jeanie

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

Mike: Wonder why?

Jeanie: Thanks for taking time to comment here! I love this bench so am happy it can be fixed. Should have it back on Saturday. The handyman's assistant was impressed with it too. The handyman (Chirs) said he's been doing carpentry 30 years and never seen anything like it!

Thanks for following me on networked blogs--I'll follow yours too.

dtbrents said...

I enjoyed the story of the bench very much. It looks great. I hope you get many more years of use out of it. Have a great week. Doylene

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.