Monday, November 2, 2009

I'm Having A Pill Pity Party Here!


I never expected to have a line up of pill bottles before I even got to be a senior citizen but here I am. It makes me feel old to be taking so many pills every day and needing bifocals. If it weren't for all these pills, I would still feel like I'm only in my 20s--yes, I really feel that good. I remember when the doctor first told me about ten years ago that I needed to take a pill for my thyroid which affected my metabolism and another to keep my cholesterol level in check. I was in shock thinking this shouldn't be happening so soon! I did notice, however, that I had more energy and felt better.

When working out with a trainer several years ago, he noticed that working my shoulders caused me some discomfort and suggested I start taking Glucosamine/Condroitin for my joints. It did seem to help but this put me up to four pills a day!

About two years ago he told me and my husband to start taking Centrum (which I replaced with one especially for women over 50), a vitamin supplement, so then I was up to three a day.

Now since my bone density test results showed that my bones are slightly below normal and I'm headed for Osteoporosis in my future, I should start taking Citracal which will help my Calcium and Vitamin D deficiency and improve my bone density--oh and these I am supposed to take twice a day so that puts me up to six! The doctor told me that years ago they wouldn't have detected this so no one would have mentioned anything about it to me. I guess it's good to know so preventive measures can be taken, but I hate having to fuss with all these pills!

I always felt bad for dad that he had so many pills to take when he reached his 70s. He took Levothyroxine for his thyroid, Centrum, an iron pill, Metformin (usually morning and evening) and one at bed time plus insulin in his 80s. Wow, I'm up to as many as he was and here I'm only 55! No wonder I feel old!!

To find out more about my book and why I wrote it, read the Foreword here.
Tweet This

Tweet Me from My Funny Dad, Harry

9 comments:

theUngourmet said...

Taking the many pills is hard to swallow! Ha! :D

Thanks for stopping by for my SITS day! Hope you have a great week!

Corrie Howe said...

I can totally relate. I'm a decade younger and am taking a one med and four supplements (mostly to help with the hot flashes).

Mayhem and Moxie said...

Wow! That is a ton. Hopefully, it will be worth your time and dedication, though. Preventative medicine is better than required medicine, yes? :)

Be well.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BJ_Mama said...

I hope you are better at remmebring than I am....I can't even remember to take my vitamin.

Your Sitsta

maya said...

This is my first time here. It's really a great blog.

Helene said...

Yeah, I can totally relate! I take quite a bit of pills too!

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

The Ungourmet: Nice pun! Thanks for stopping by.

Corrie: So far I'm not taking anything for the hot flashes yet. I suppose that's another one I'll be adding soon.

Mayhem and Moxie: I guess. It still makes me feel very old though.

BJ Mama: So far I remember. The supper time one I mark on my calendar because it's every other day.

Maya: Thanks! I'd love to have another follower.

Helene: I know lots do; I just never thought I'd be one of them!

The Redhead Riter said...

the ungourmet's comment cracked me up!!!

So I am younger than you and take more meds than you :o) Does that make me the winner? LOL

My take on this is that I am thankful there is medication to help the bodies we have remain healthier. I feel healthy like I am 25 and that is because I follow my routine every morning and swallow the pills. My glass is half full and I'm happy about it!

stopping by from sits today

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.