Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Nativity Project of 1982 With Help From Harry

In 1982, I was renting the upstairs of dad's double house for just $100 a month (which included meals and utilities!) It was a sweet deal and I knew it and was grateful! 

During the time I rented his upstairs, I was youth director at the Brooklyn Christian and Missionary Alliance Church so would have the youth group over for a time of snacking and just hanging out after the Sunday evening service. Usually, we'd have about eight, but when I started the special Christmas project of actually making a Nativity set for the church, we got more kids to come.











I covered my large dining room table with a sheet so we could just paint on that and I could leave it up all week. (I lived alone up there before I even knew Gerard, my husband.) I bought the pieces and the paint, chalk, spray, trays and dad made a stable out of cardboard that the boys could glue wood onto and then stain it. We worked on this about six weeks and then set it up in the church narthex with the intent of using it every year.


Unfortunately, some pieces got lost and broken so I took it back and use it every year at home.  It brings back fond memories of the teens who made it.  I had to replace Mary and the cow and the angel. To see my post with Spunky Doodle helping me set it up this year, go to Spunky Doodle Helps Set Up Nativity Set. Spunky is the Tuxedo cat I got from dad's when it was just 3 months old.



(All these pictures of making the set were scanned in with my new photo scanner I got for my birthday this year.)

This post is a Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop prompt: Show us your Nativity Set.

16 comments:

DayPhoto said...

I miss both of my parents....a peak at your life helps me.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpres.com

BeadedTail said...

What a special project! The pictures are wonderful and love Spunky Doodle checking things out!

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

DayPhoto:
Glad you enjoy my life . . . it appears we are in the same boat.

Beaded Tail:
This really was a fun thing to do and I so enjoy putting it out each year. I have so many good memories from this time in my life. I really liked working with the youth. I think it helped keep me young!

The Silver Age Sara said...

What a beautiful project for Christmas and now you have memories every year.
Thanks for sharing all the photos with us. Your scanner is doing a great job and I know you must enjoy having it.

Rene Perez said...

Awww! Cool!!! I was 11 when that was built!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I will get a lot of use out of my scanner since I have tons of old pictures!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these lovely photos and memories - beautiful!

Anonymous said...

It is so great that you worked with youth and what a wonderful project to bring back memories every year. I bet that makes the nativity even more special.

Ailurophile said...

It looks very pretty. Must bring back lots of happy memories for you. Hope you have a great week and holidays ahead :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays, Karen! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for the Lemonade award. Here is the link to the nomination: http://totallytennessee.today.com/2008/12/22/i-got-nominated-for-the-lemonade-award/

Anonymous said...

That is a great project. The little cat even wanted to get involved to. That one looks just like my 2 cats boots and fidget.

Unknown said...

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest! Love the project and Kitty helping out!

Kim Lehnhoff said...

Our cat (who looks a lot like Spunky) would be right in the middle of the action, too!

Did any of the kids you worked with stay with the church?

Adrienne said...

What great memories! Stopped by from Mama Kat's. ;)

KatBouska said...

What a neat memory! And what a deal for 100 a month!! :) I love how kitty decided that was the perfect spot for a nap. Animals are so funny!

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.