Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What To Get Dad For Christmas

It was always a little difficult buying things for dad because he'd only wear new clothes if he felt his old ones were too worn out. He also insisted on baggy pants and actually ordered his own clothes once he discovered L.L. Bean. I did find some nice warm shirts for him that he liked. With his arthritis when he was in his late 80s, he had a terrible time with buttons so he really liked the pullovers I found that had zippers instead.

One year, I took pictures of his cats and put together a customized cat calendar. When he opened it, he thought it was very nice because he likes cats but his eyesight was so good and he didn't recognize they were his until I pointed it out to him. Then he said it was "wonderful"! He hung it up in his dining room and did use it. He'd write birthdays on it that he wanted to remember and doctor appointments and always had stuff like news articles or comics clipped to the side.

I used to tease him about not flipping it at the beginning of a new month. I guess he just didn't have time to do it. When I went to flip it for him, he said, "Nooooo, leave it alone, I'll do it." It normally didn't bother me, but when he was using the cat calendar I made for him, I wanted to see each picture the whole month, especially the one of Sweet Thing because he was my favorite of dad's cats. Sweet Thing was on for the month of November, I think, and it was half way over before dad got around to flipping it.

Since he adored his cats so much, we often bought each cat something a little special which really pleased dad more than things we would buy for him.

To see a related article about custom calendars that gave me the idea for this post,
see Custom Calendars. Another idea is to give your dad my book, "My Funny Dad, Harry." (I couldn't resist, especially since Mountain Woman suggested it in a comment on my previous post!)

7 comments:

The Silver Age Sara said...

I like the custom calendar idea. It is very difficult to shop for some people so I once again do recommend your book because it is a gift from the heart.

Anonymous said...

Hi we are just started the Christmas giveaways check this out....Lots of huge prizes...thanks for sponsoring.

Ailurophile said...

A calendar customized for cats is indeed the best gift ever!!

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

I always make one for ourselves too to hang in our kitchen.

Anonymous said...

My father was the same way about clothing. When I was younger, I actually gave him a deadline and if he didn't wear an item within the year, I told him I would take it back.

I have given you a few awards. Stop by when you get a chance.

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have had and have such a wonderful dad . Definitely someone I'd like to know.

Mike Golch said...

Dad has been gone so long that I forgotten what I used to get from him.1983 was the last christmas that I spent with him.he passed away in Aug 1984.

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.