Sunday, January 25, 2009

Harry's Commentary On Abortion

In cleaning out my dad's house after he died, it was like a treasure hunt--I never knew what I would find. Dad was always opinionated and called things like he saw it without holding back. Tact was not his strong suit; that was my mom's specialty. Dad always saw things as black or white. In his eyes, things were either right or wrong. The first section of the paper Harry read every day was the comics. Sometimes, he even made comments on them. Below is one I found that he even saved. It's The Wizard of Id from the PLAIN DEALER back when President Clinton was in office. As you can see, he taped his comment to it at the bottom:

(The comic is a bit hard to read but the king says, "Your beloved King has eliminated crime in the parks." How'd you Do it? Hooray!
King replies: "I legalized mugging.")

How many people do you know who would take time to do this and then save it? Just thought this does give us something to think about.

7 comments:

The Silver Age Sara said...

You know black and white can also refer to moral absolutes. Something is wrong or not. I know I would have really liked your Dad.

Aisha said...

He is a good man! I'm glad there are people out there who does not support abortion.

Up Close said...

Hello. I have given you a lemonade award. just get it on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

You have to pick up an Award at http://dfoolonthehill.com/?p=1666

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Mountain Woman--Yes, I pretty much see things as either right or wrong too, not much gray area with me.

Aisha--He was a very good person, indeed! I too am against abortion and hate that our tax dollars can be used for them again.

Andrew & Carmel Suarez--Thanks for the Lemonade award, but I've already received this one. I'll add your name to it though.

Windmill--I'll get it sometime, but right now I am too busy to do awards. I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed.

Yeo KeeHui said...

He is absolutely right. If hating a person is murder, what more is abortion? You don't murder your species whatever the reason.

NathanKP said...

Very interesting. I recently wrote an abortion themed poem on my blog Imagination Manifesto

You may find it interesting as well.

Nathan

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.