Monday, June 23, 2008

What, No Ring?

One of the unusual quirks about my dad was that he never wore a ring. I don't know about customs in other countries, but in the USA, it is customary for married people to wear a wedding ring the the fourth finger of the left hand to let everyone know they are taken. Although my dad was a loving, faithful husband for over 50 years of marriage, he refused to wear a ring because he worked so much with his hands and felt he would either lose it, damage it, or it would be uncomfortable for him. My mom wore one, but allowed my Harry to do his own thing and didn't make a big fuss about it. He was definitely his own person and really didn't much care what others thought and certainly wasn't going to let society dictate what he would and would not wear.

Although I'm not big on jewelry either, I do wear my wedding ring. I just got one ring and used it as an engagement ring and wedding ring. My husband wears one too and I'm glad he does!

7 comments:

Mark said...

I would like to say that I'm married and do not wear a wedding ring despite having one and being totally faithful. I don't wear one simply because my fingers swell when there is anything around them (such as a ring).

On a side note, I would like to say nice blog :-)

---
You are NOT a Sheep:
http://youarenotasheep.blogspot.com/

Rene Perez said...

My husband had worn through two wedding bands and I guess we need to get him another one at some point..maybe something made of cast iron?

Karen and Gerard said...

Mark,
That's a good reason not to wear a ring.

Rene',
I never heard of a wedding band wearing out before. That's interesting.

riablahgs said...

This is nice. I mean, I and my husband are not alone for NOT wearing wedding bands. We used to but over the years, has "outgrown" the puny hole sizes =). He is into bowling and rock-climbing so like Mr. Harry, he'd rather skip it than risk the consequence of losing our "blessed" bands. Maybe when I get slimmer, I might wear mine again...harharhar...

maiylah said...

it's customary in my country for married men (and women) to wear wedding rings, too. my husband just lost his ring while we were on a beach...guess he shouldn't have worn it that day! ;P
funny thing ... my dad didn't wear his wedding ring, too; for the same reason as your dad's. :)

Emma the Golden Girl said...

Karen,
Thank you for sharing your Dad's story. It's good to see my husband and I weren't alone in not wearing rings. I was always busy at home either cleaning or gardening or doing chores and like Mark, my fingers would just swell.
It didn't mean we loved each other any less and we were married almost thirty years before he died.
Sometimes if you aren't used to wearing jewelry, it's difficult to do it on an every day basis.

Karen and Gerard said...

Thanks for your comments! I am surprised to hear what I thought was so unusual, really isn't.

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.