Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Delightful, Inspiring Story of Familial Love and Faith

Here's a review I received yesterday by Charlene S. Rubush, “author and book lover” (Donalsonville, Georgia)(5 stars)
June 11, 2008

*****
My Funny Dad, Harry
by Karen Arlettaz Zemek

If only everyone were lucky enough to have a devoted father and true family man like Harry! Zemek's love, respect, and gratitude for her dad shines through in this sweet book. Harry, a product of the Depression, had quirky habits that will have you chuckling.

Anyone's who's had a parent who lived through the Depression, should be able to relate to Harry's thrifty ways. From saving junk mail to make notepads, to keeping orange juice cartons to convert into drawers, Harry wasted nothing.

Zemek's use of photos throughout the book, gives the reader an up-close look at Harry's ingenuity, plus provides a feeling of familiarity with Harry, his wife, Lenore, his daughter, son-in-law, foster-children, and his many beloved cats.

As Harry grew old, he stubbornly refused his daughter's offer of moving in with she and her husband, preferring to stay in his own home, taking care of his numerous beloved cats, right up until his death. We can feel Karen's anguish and concern, as she comes to terms with his inevitable decline.

As I read Zemek's book, there were many ah-ha moments where I'd get a lump in my throat, as I saw flickers of my own mom and dad, now deceased. But Zemek always manages to bring out the bright side of life. By the time I closed the book, I'd come to love Harry and his family. They are a fine example of those "salt-of-the-earth" caring, Christian people who hold this country together. I applaud Karen for taking the time to write this book. It's a fun, touching read. Harry would be so proud.

(This is an excerpt of the review--for full review, please look under the cutomer reviews on Amazon.com)

No comments:

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.