Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Would You Do This To Your Kids?






This video (http://youtu.be/_YQpbzQ6gzs) that I first saw over at Unknown Mama, although funny in how it shows how much the kids like their candy, is also sad how the parents purposely attempt to get the kids upset. The parents lied to their young children, saying that they ate all of their Halloween candy and videotaping their reaction. This little prank was instigated by Jimmie Kimmel who thought they would just get mad and was surprised that almost all of them cried. I think some cried because they were so angry. I know I do that sometimes and so did my mom.

I am grateful that my parents never teased me. Maybe you think we were too serious all the time, but I really can’t remember them ever getting me mad on purpose. Ephesians 6:4 says, “And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath; but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.” My dad took that literally and so I know he would not have participated in this prank.

Would you do this to your children? Do you tease them just to get them mad? Did your parents tease you? If so, did you like it?

I am donating .50 cents per legitimate comment this month to St. Jude's Childrens Research Hospital.


3 comments:

Lin said...

I love those two kids at the end. Who's the grown-up in this situation??? :)

I tease my kids ALL the time. And their friends. But not in a mean way. I would probably do something like this, but I would not film it to show other people. I wouldn't want to embarrass the kids.

annies home said...

I am the sort of mom who would razz my childen not to the point of them getting upset because I can never go that far in the end my heart for them always gives them or tells them what they want

Catch My Words said...

I saw this video, and it made me so angry that I didn't even see it as funny. What kind of a parent would do that to their own child? Why would a parent take pleasure in seeing a kid get upset. NO. I would never do this to my kids.

When I was little, my entire family used to tease me by saying I wasn't born into the family but traded for beads from the Indians. I have a red birthmark on my forehead that they claimed was an Indian sign. This used to upset me terribly. I don't remember crying, but it wasn't fair to do this to someone too young to understand the humor.

When my kids got old enough to understand humor, sure we'd joke and have fun. This is not appropriate with little ones nor is it even remotely funny. It's SICK!

To venture a step further, if society sees this as funny, we've lost human compassion. I partially blame reality TV, which has taught the world that it's okay to mistreat each other.

Joyce
http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.