Monday, May 23, 2011

“My Cat From Hell” Is Entertaining And Educational!

Thanks to The Best of 2011 blog hop over at "A Pause on the Path," I discovered that this is my most viewed post for the year!



My cats enjoying the cat tree.

My Cat From Hell” is a TV show on Animal Planet that I wish I had seen when my dad was still alive.  “My Cat From Hell” is an entertaining show.  The cat behaviorist helps people who are at the wits end with their monster cats.

So far the three times I’ve watched, once the people change some things, the cats come around.  They showed some of the following extreme cases: a black and white feral cat coming into the home that already had two other cats, a white cat who bit and scratched the person while he slept, and a Sphinx hairless cat who got into everything including chewing wires and knocking things over.

It was funny when the cat behaviorist was trying to get the feral cat out of its hiding place in the wood shop and into the carrier.  I was actually rooting for the cat.  Sure enough, even the “expert” couldn’t get that cat into the carrier.  It took off really fast!  It made me feel better about not being able to get my cat in.

My dad would have enjoyed this show very much because it’s all about making cats happy.  He loved his stray cats but the ones he brought inside I don’t think were very happy, at least not the ones who lived upstairs of his double house rent free.  By watching this show, I learned a few things that I didn’t know before:

(1)  There are basically two categories of cats, tree dwellers and bush dwellers.  Bush dwellers like to hide in bushes, tree dwellers like to be up high.  You want to encourage your cat to be up and in the open spaces.

under the bed

(2)  A cat that is hiding or attacking does so because they are afraid, stressed out and not happy. 

(3)  Cats do not like to be confined in small rooms with little to do or things to climb on.  If you can provide high places for them all around the room, they will be much happier.

I believe these are some of the things dad would have done for his cats if he had seen this show:

1.  Get them some cat trees!  This gives the cat a place of their own from which to observe from up high.  I don’t know why I never thought of buying them one of these.  I have one for my cats and they love it!  They usually go on that instead of the furniture. 

feather on a stick
2.  Use interactive toys.  Cats like playing with their owners.  Just putting cat toys out for the is not very exciting for them; however, when those toys move they become very interested and pounce, chase and jump.  (I played with dad’s cats when I would visit but I don’t think he ever did.) 

3.  Provide high places.  He probably would have built some shelves for them to jump on so they could get up on top of the valance or other higher places.  He may have even built a special shelf for them to go on around the room up near the ceiling.  Looking back, he had their cat beds always on the floor for Softie and Sweet Thing.  They probably would have liked them on the window seat better.
Have you seen this show?  What do you think of it?  If you like cats or have a problem with your cat, you really should watch it sometime! 


I am donating 50 cents per comment during May to Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. To find out more about my book and why I wrote it, read the Foreword here Available as e-book (http://outskirtspress.com/myfunnydadharry/).

Check out more Saturday Sampling posts or link up one of yours--best posts of the week over at Half-Past Kissin' Time..

14 comments:

Doreen McGettigan said...

I like the show. I only have 2 little dogs and they bark at the cats but it is excerise for them too.
I am quite impressed and inspired by how generous the 2 of you are.
Have a great week.

Lin said...

I haven't seen this show, but I have seen the Dog version. I think most of the time, the humans are to blame for bad animal behavior. We have friends who complain that their dogs pee all over the house. But do they take them out?? Nope. Well....duh.

Ann in the UP said...

I will have to make a point of watching this show. Our cats love to be up high, even Tony---who needs a cherry picker to get up there. He's a big guy compared to the girls. I subscribe to a newsletter called "Catnip" from Tufts vet clinic, but it's pretty clinical, about cat disease and illness. This program sounds like fun.

Kjelle Bus aka Charlie Rascal said...

I have seen that show now and then on Animal Planet. I think it´s great fun t watch :)

Gattina said...

I haven't seen that show neither, my cats have a cat flap go in and out as they wish, and of course they all have a different character. Mr. G. calls them our flying cats because they like to walk on cupboards, wardrobes, tables etc !

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

My human has actually met Jackson Galaxy - he lives in southern California, like we do. His publicist took them both to lunch one day. I think he is great - he translates for us kitties and tells humans what is up with us!

Unknown said...

I have two dogs, but this show is seriously making me consider a cat ;-)

Emily said...

I have never heard about this show! My husband and I grew up with cats and met bc of them (a post in itself!). You are talking to a woman who allowed her husband to put a cat "condo"...in her living room! DH is a professional writer about cats.

DH and I each brought two cats into the marriage. Two have died, one of whom was a weight off my mind bc for years she would pee in our bed,any clothes or towels left on the floor and our couches. Even meds didn't work on her. Now she's up in Heaven I suppose, peeing on St. Francis's couches!

Rebecca said...

I've never seen the show but we've bought a window perch for the cat and she loves it. She has the basement to roam that has high shelves and lots of boxes of various sizes that she can hide behind. She also has a 3 story box with holes in various places (and by 3 story box, it's 3 boxes on top of one another connecting with holes in the middles........and it's about 4 feet high)

We also take the cat outside a couple of times a week for a walk in the back yard.

And I have 2 children who play with her....lots. She's a busy cat.

Here from Mrs 44444

Mrs4444 said...

We once had a "cat from hell," seriously. We had to get rid of him--He was insane! Years later, we had to get rid of a beloved cat who wouldn't stop peeing (in Kyle's crib, in the rocking chair, and on floor. I'll bet he could have been cured by this show! I will have to watch for it. Thank you!

Style, Decor & More said...

That is great that you're donating .50 per comment! Way to go! I was born with PCD which is similar to cystic fibrosis, so I am very touched by your donation. If they find a cure for cystic fibrosis, it will help PCD patients most likely.
I'm a new follower from the over 40 hop! Hope you can hop over to my blog too!

nancy
http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/
God bless. Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

I like these cats..I have dogs but i would like to take home cats now..

Thanks
_______
Roger
Traumeel

Ms. Kathleen said...

I love cats and have always had one or two house cats. When I lived on the farm we had a lot and they primarily lived in the hayloft. I loved springtime when we'd go look for the new kittens. Thanks for sharing!

http://theemptynestexpress.com

Rosilind Jukic said...

I'm popping over from the Best of 2011 blog hop at A Pause on the Path. I LOVE THAT SHOW!!!! I live in Zagreb, Croatia and watch it on Animal Planet (yes, we do get AP). I love cats and hope to get one someday when we have our own place. These are great tips for cat owners -- and a great post!

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.