Saturday, June 26, 2010

I'm Getting More and More Like Dad (Writer's Workshop)













My dad and I used to always get comments that I looked so much like him. Probably because neither of us smiled very much.

We were both very stubborn and always felt our way of doing something was the "right" way.  Often times, we would butt heads because we already had our mind made up how to do something and were not interested in other alternatives.  I have worked at being more open to other ideas, and my dad even started listening finally to at least some of my ideas in his old age.

We are both reserved.  My dad was never much at making small talk and neither am I.  I much prefer just being with people I know well rather than meeting new people.  Neither of us are "social butterflies."

Neither of us are very interested in buying new clothes. We both wear our clothes for years, whether they are still in style or not. That's why I mostly just buy classic, traditional things that are timeless. Neither of us like dressing up. I am happiest in jeans, sweatshirts or t-shirts.

We both Like To Keep Our Blood.  Yesterday when I went for my annual check-up, they had a problem drawing my blood. I remembered how dad used to have to try to find a finger to prick for his diabetes testing every day and sometimes he would hardly get enough blood for it. He would rub it some before he tried to warm it up. Remembering this, I suggested running some hot water on my wrist to warm me up. Yes, it is summer and was a very nice warm day; however, the office had air conditioning blowing so hard it felt like 60 degrees in there. The technician even wore a fleece jacket!

The doctor gave up and decided to just do the one test for anemia. I sure hope I am not anemic! I don't need that problem yet. He was concerned because I lost a couple pounds, but I think it was because I just got finished doing sports camp in hot weather all week which was way more activity than I normally do.

I have some of my dad's good qualities though too.  

We are both organized.  My dad was quite organized even though his desks, tables, chairs and floors were a mess.  He knew where his things were most of the time.  I too have a place for everything and usually remember where my things are too. 

We both are list makers. My dad always had lists going of projects he wanted to work on, grocery lists, and even lists of what he ate. I do the same thing except I don't write a grocery list every week. I just print out a list of items we usually get and check the ones we want. I did this for my dad as well when I was his primary caregiver and started doing his grocery shopping for him.

We are both very generous and helpful. He used to teach boys in Sunday School and now I do. We both get so involved in working on projects we care about that we can work for hours and forget to eat. Neither of us have any trouble sleeping and are both early risers and neither of us are night owls. Hoot! Hoot!

My dad told me over and over he didn't know what he'd do without me when he was in his 80s and I was his primary caregiver. I know he was very proud of me and loved me very, very much.  I am glad I am so much like my dad!  He was such a good person and got along with everyone.  (Mostly because he kept his mouth shut.)

This is one of Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop posts in response to: What does your child do that reminds you most of yourself? How does it make you feel?

To find out more about my book and why I wrote it, read the Foreword here. Tweet This



Tweet Me from My Funny Dad, Harry

2 comments:

Dragonblogger said...

My wife tells me I am looking more like my father as I age as well (must be that I am balding the same way)

Lin said...

Oh, I think you DO look like your dad. You have his eyes and his mouth.

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.