Saturday, October 25, 2008

Church's Fall Festival Brings Back Memories of Dad


Today Gerard and I ran a game for the fall festival at church that is open to the community. As I was walking around, looking at everything I saw the big wheel that dad had made for me when I was AWANA commander at my old church. ( AWANA stands for "Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed" based on II Timothy 2:15. It's a worldwide ministry that churches use to run clubs for kids to reach them with the gospel of Christ and train them to serve Him.) I asked him to make sections with clips on them that I could attach papers to with different things we gave points for and we'd let one of the kids spin the wheel to see what we would give extra bonus points for that night. My dad was always thrilled to make things for me out of wood. He really was a wonderful dad and I still miss him.

At the festival, they put candy on it and whichever section it stopped at when the kids spun it, they would get the candy that was in that section. It makes me feel good to see that it's still being used, at least once a year anyhow. It was one of the things in his basement when I was clearing out the house and I just didn't have any room for it. I was happy when my nephew took it to use at the church! His wife is on the Children's Ministry team and he thought she would be able to use it for something. Here they are with their boys at the festival.

6 comments:

Angie A. said...

Karen,

How neat to see something that your dad made still being used by the church. I know they all appreciate the work he did.

How wonderful that he wasn't ashamed to give his workmanship for the church's children.

Page

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet!
My dad is a handy kind of guy and I have similar memories all around our houses. I love that I can see some of him in all kinds of places.

Karen and Gerard said...

Page: My dad liked kids and enjoyed making things for them. When he used to teach Sunday School early in their marriage, he would make object lessons to hold the kids' attention. This was way back before I was born in 1953.

Josie: Sounds like our fathers were two of a kind. I love that I have so many things in my house that he made. I feel bad for my husband though, because he doesn't really have anything from his parents expect some dishes and glasses--collector glasses, but that's it. His parents weren't into making things. I'm glad mine were!

Ailurophile said...

Your Dad was a very sweet and caring person. Every day must bring great memories of him and his good deeds. Have a happy day!

ruthinian said...

I guess all dads are handy man. My dad made a nice hanging cabinet in our bathroom. I love it because I put all my beauty products there. It's a nice piece of work in our bathroom. I miss him.

Mrs4444 said...

How awesome. I'm sure your dad would feel great to know they're still using his labor of love for the church.

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.