Sunday, April 11, 2010

Don't Ever Go On A Plane! (Writer's Workshop)

Harry was always very cautious. He never liked to drive fast so would avoid the Interstate highways if he could and always said that planes were dangerous. He was not only fearful of flying but felt like no one else should ever fly anywhere either. He always pointed out the plane crashes saying "See, planes are dangerous!" Although I would tell him that there are more car accidents than plane crashes, he was not persuaded that planes were safe and stuck to his belief that people shouldn't fly.

When my sister went on a plane to Hawaii, my dad was very nervous about her flying and told me to NEVER go on a plane. Since I had no plans or inclination to go traveling anywhere, it didn't bother me. I thought I would spare him the worry and not fly during his lifetime and just said okay.

As he aged and thought about his mortality, one day he said: "When I die I want you to wait until after my funeral to let the out-of-state relatives know so they don't come on an airplane to attend my funeral. I don't want them taking that risk." That's how much he feared flying!

This is part of Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop prompt: Where does that fear come from? Write about something that frightens you that other people might find ridiculous.

So, do you think Harry was being ridiculous? Do you fly? What scares you?

To find out more about my book and why I wrote it, read the Foreword here.
Tweet This

Tweet Me from My Funny Dad, Harry

3 comments:

The Silver Age Sara said...

I can totally understand Harry's fear of flying. I used to fly all the time but now I don't. I guess I'm scared of heights. Don't like being on a ladder at all.

Lisa Petrarca said...

I'm afraid of cockroaches. They freak me out. I can hold pet snakes, kill spiders etc...but roaches just give me the chills! I can't even kill them.

I don't know why, but one time while I was spraying Raid at one, it started running towards me, I was screaming & spraying, but it wouldn't stop. I swear it even stood up on his back legs!

I could make a cockroach horror movie...YUCK!!


Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Miss. Ardeth Blood said...

Just came from SITS to say hope you are having a great day

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.