Monday, October 19, 2009

Playing With Cats Is Great Fun!

I used to love visiting my dad and his cats. I had to be very careful though when playing with his cats because none of them were declawed. Occasionally, I would got scratched because they were so quick and sometimes their mood would change unexpectedly. I did try to be careful though. My dad's first and favorite cat, Blackie, used to like riding around on his wheelchair. I would push the chair with the cat sitting or laying on it as best I could along the path between the junk in the dining room and into the living room and kitchen.

My cat, Spunky Doodle, was a kitten born to a stray at my dad's that I took in. Spunky is not 5 years old and I am so glad I have her. She is still a lot of fun. Just last week I discovered another game she likes--spinning on our chair! She climbed up on the back of the chair and I just started spinning it around very slowly and discovered she liked it! I told Gerard, my husband, to take a video so I could post it on my blog to share. (Visit Spunky's blog here.)

Cats are so much fun and so little work. I never really liked cats until I met the cats at my dad's. He fed the stray cats of the neighborhood and so they congregated at his house. I loved petting them when i visited. A few he brought inside. What games do your cats like or how do you keep them entertained?

To find out more about my book and why I wrote it, read the Foreword here.
Tweet This

Tweet Me from My Funny Dad, Harry

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not much of a cat person (my husband is allergic to them), but we do have a Mini Poodle named Monster.

Monster loves to wipe his feet. It's very comical. I need to try and record it sometime (he doesn't do it on command, unfortunately!). It's hilarious.

He also loves tummy rubs. But once you start, you can't stop---he will lay there and look at you with his brown eyes and start singing to you...until you resume the rub. He's too funny!

I love animals!

Rebecca @Freaky Frugalite said...

Very cute! My Livvy loves rides on the desk chairs with wheels, and she also likes to be carried around in the laundry basket. Cats are just so adorable!!

Jude said...

Karen I don't know anything about cats, but if I saw that tail flipping like it was I'd be afraid they were agitated and I don't think I would have kept spinning even though he/she looked okay.

BeadedTail said...

Spunky's too cute! I think he was having a good time spinning around on the chair! He got to look out both windows plus see what was going on in the room. I'm sure he'll want to do that over and over again!

Quincifer said...

I miss having cats, or even pets in general because my landlord won't allow it :(
My mum has a black fluffy cat called Shadow and she is actually mental! She has a thing about attacking pens...when they are just sat on the table... hehe
Stopped by from SITS, have a good day! x

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

Erin: too bad you can't have cats but I'm sure you enjoy your Poodle. My dog loves those belly rubs too! My cats, nos so much.

Rebecca: Spunky loves the laundry basket too and also lets me spin her on the computer chair while she's lying on it.

Jude: Little tail flips are okay, it's only when they really swish it hard that they are really agitated. Sometimes I do push Spunky too far and she'll give me a big hiss but she's so cute it just cracks me up! Poor thing. She really can't look mean.

Beaded Tail: I would have thought she'd like to do it again too but so far she hasn't. I did spin her around in the computer chair today though when she was lying on it and she stayed.

Quincifer: That's sad your landlord doesn't allow pets. Nice that you have your mom's cat to visit though like I had with my dad before I got a cat. My cats like to knock all kinds of things off high places: pens, toy mice, paper, etc.

Anonymous said...

So cute! I can't believe she stays on!


You commented right above me at sits today! "Hi!"

At Town Square said...

Hi there, I'm stopping by from SITS. I never was a cat person but my kids wanted one from the humance society and I loved this cat we had picked out. But he discovered outside and kept whining at the door everyday. Then one day he never came back. So we got a kitten to replace him. This kitten bites and has scratched the entire back side of a very nice leather couch but what can I do. We love him anyway.

Liberty said...

Cats are great!! We don't have one at the moment, but I have had several throughout my lifetime. My cat, Peanut, used to come and pet my arm with his paw when he wanted to be petted.... so sweet!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

xxoo,
Liberty

Amel said...

That's SO CUTE! LOVE the video clip. It's not just Spunky that was having fun, but you too! :-D :-D :-D

Quasi Serendipita said...

Cool video! My mum's dog loves swimming - they have even taught him to dive into the sea. It's really, really funny!

Kristi {at} Live and Love...Out Loud said...

Looks like you were both having a great time! Animals being so much joy to people, don't they? They're so therapeutic & they don't talk back.
I loved this post. My gus and I really enjoyed watching the video. Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

Kristi, Live and Love...Out Loud
@TweetingMama

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.