Monday, September 21, 2009

Where Does The Time Go:

After my mom dad and dad was on his own, he still had his day filled with things he wanted to do. I always thought it would be nice to have the whole day to just do whatever you wanted. I envied him in that way and was always amazed when I'd go visit him the next day on my way to work when he was in his upper 80s to find out he didn't get much done the day before. He would tell me that after breakfast, he fell asleep reading the paper and woke up and it was already lunch time. He would get so frustrated with himself because he'd tell me there just isn't time to do the things he likes after he gets everything else done that as to be done like testing his blood sugar, eating, taking his pills, taking care of his cats and then it seemed that took up his whole day.

I felt sad for him when he'd tell me that and think, wow, what a life. He had several pills to take and at different times in the day which was sort of a hassle for him to keep track of. Then to make things more complicated for him yet, if his blood sugar was over a certain number, then he'd have to give himself some shot. I was impressed at how good he did this all by himself. He didn't need the shots until his last year or so. Up until then, he controlled the diabetes with just a pill.

Now that I am home, recovering from surgery, I experience a similar situation. I have all day and think how much I'm going to accomplish today: comment on blogs, walk the dog, post to my blogs, do a little reading, play with my cats, review my Sunday School lesson and read the paper, maybe even play a little on Then the time flies by, I get a little tired so lay down for a bit with my cats and boom--the day is gone, Gerard is home again and I maybe got half the things done that I wanted to do.

Fortunately, I will get better and become stronger again. The first day I tried going back to work two weeks after my surgery, I was dead tired by the time I got home. The only other time in my life I was that tired was the day we moved. I walked like a 90-yr.-old woman on the way home from the bus stop. I just was out of pep and my shoulders and neck were all tense. It was awful. (I wrote about this on my other blog if you want more detail: Exhausted After My First Day Back To Work. I thought I was ready but found out differently.

My dad, however, never did recover. Getting old involves a big adjustment. You just have to slow down and not expect as much from your body as you once did. This was the hardest thing for him to do because he liked puttering around the house and fixing things. Things that used to take a little time, now take longer to do and although your mind tells you, "I can do this" your body says "No, I can't."

I have decided to take the time that the doctor says I should and enjoy the extra free time God has given me to get caught up on things and schedule some posts ahead again. I hope to start posting on this blog once a week again and so the first thing I did after reading the paper this morning was t write this post. It's been way too long since I posted on here.

Do you get everything done you want to do each day? Probably not. That's why we have to prioritize and do the most important things early to make sure those at least get done. I feel good I finally got my post done for this blog today. Do you make the most of the time you have?

Tweet Me from My Funny Dad, Harry


Sandee said...

Sometimes I get more done than I had planned and often far less done then I had planned. So I think all of us go through this.

You just rest and get well. Going to work two weeks after surgery was pretty bold. Just saying.

Have a terrific day. :)

Robynn's Ravings said...

Karen - I was just popping in to see how you are doing. Glad the surgery is past and praying for your full and complete recovery. Blessings to you.

DayPhoto said...

You rest. Rest is the healing gift that God gives us. So often we don't want to take the time to just rest because it feels like we are being wastful. But rest is really a busy thing, for without it we can never really be whole.


Beth said...

With 7 children, I always had more to do in a day than could possibly get done. 7 weeks ago I had a c-section to deliver my 8th, and it's been all I can do just to care for the baby. Thankfully, I'm finally feeling mostly back to normal and can carry the baby in a carrier so that both of my hands are free. Now maybe I'll start to catch up a little!

Helene said...

There is never enough time in a day, for me. I don't seem to ever get things done that I need to get done but I'm doing my best to prioritize. But sometimes doing arts and crafts with my kids far outweighs finishing the laundry!!!

Hope you're feeling better soon! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and making my SITS day so special!

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

Sandee: I am enjoying my restful weeks off work--may go back half days during radiation treatment. I'm feeling good again and sleeping through the night.

Robynn's Ravings & Day Photo: I feel good and am enjoying my recovery time off. Just got back from walking the dog about an hour ago.

Helene: I agree that doing arts and crafts with your kids should be a higher priority than the laundry, although I'm thinking, couldn't you do the laundry while you're doing those arts and crafts? That's why I like laundry, because I can do it and still do other things at the same time! Yea!

Christine @UnstructuredBliss said...

Hi Karen - Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday - its a small work in progress. I'm glad you are recovering from your surgery and hope you get back to full energy soon! Praying for both you and your dad.

My Little Corner of Savings said...

I am such a procratinator, I am also a stay at home mom so I tell myself that I am too busy to get everything done.

I love your blog. I lost my mom 4 years ago and this makes me wish I had written everything she said down.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

"My Funny Dad, Harry" Book Giveaway

Congratulations to all the winners of the giveaway for "My Funny Dad, Harry" at Red Pine Mountain. I am so happy that four of my regular commenters won! Read what Tim thought of it at Everyday Living.